From May 1st 2018, the Scottish Living Wage has Increased:

In May 2017, the  Living Wage went up to £8.45 per hour. Today the Living Wage is: £8.75

Why has the Living Wage increased?

The Scottish Government made a commitment to increase the minimum earnings of Social Care staff in Scotland to enable people to be paid the Living Wage. This commitment was reflected in the financial settlement that the Scottish Government agreed with Local Authorities for 2018 – 2019,  which includes provision for the increase in the Scottish Living Wage.

Who does the Living Wage apply to?

The Scottish Government has clearly stated that they see the Living Wage as applying to all ‘Adult Social Care Workers’, that are providing direct care and support to adults in care homes, care at home services and housing support. In addition, the funding to Local Authorities was awarded on the basis that it was to go to Providers of Care and Support services and Direct Payment recipients who complied with Scottish Living Wage rates. This means that PA Employers should also be covered by the increase in the Living Wage.

If I am a PA Employer, do I have to pay my PA the Living Wage?

The Scottish Government and Local Government have jointly committed to enabling the Living Wage to be paid to all adult social care workers in Scotland, including Personal Assistants. The financial settlement has provided the funds to enable this to happen. Therefore, there is now the opportunity for PA Employers to receive an increase in their SDS budget, to enable them to pay the Living Wage. However, there is no legal requirement for a PA Employer to pay the Living Wage – but it may make it harder to recruit Personal Assistants in the future if they are not being paid at least the Living Wage.

Will I receive an increase in my SDS budget from today?

Before there are any changes to people’s SDS budgets to reflect the increase in Living Wage, each Health and Social Care Partnership across Scotland will have to decide how it is implementing the increase to the Living Wage. In practice, this means that each Integrated Joint Board (IJB) will be looking at this question now – so this may not have been agreed yet.

What can I do to find out about how the Living Wage is being implemented in my area?

There are 3 things you could do:

  1. If you receive less that the Living Wage currently to pay for your support, you could speak to your Social Worker to ask how the Living Wage will be being increased in your SDS budget
  2. Speak to the SDS Lead in your area to ask how the Living Wage is being implemented locally
  3. Contact the Integration Joint Board in your area to find out how they are implementing the Living Wage in your area

Further details can be accessed from Self-Directed Support Scotland Website or click on the link below.

Scottish Living Wage Increases today! – What does it mean for PA Employers?

Thank you.


Comments are closed